Conservation Committee Chair and FMI: Peter Carney
Next Committee Event:
Toast to the Outdoors - AMC & Maine Beer Company in KingfieldDate: Thursday, December 14, 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Raise a glass for the wild places you love. Throughout December, Maine Beer Company is placing its delicious beers on tap in pubs throughout AMC regions to support the mission of the AMC. It's simple, when you drink one of their beers at an AMC event a portion of your tab gets donated to AMC. Head on over to Rolling Fatties in Kingfield (268 Main St.) on Thursday, December 14 from 5pm - 8pm. They will have Maine Beer Company on tap delicious food for sale. Each month, Maine Beer Company partners with a 1% for the Planet non-profit. Maine Beer Company writes, "We selected Appalachian Mountain Club as one of our 1% For the Planet environmental non-profits because we saw a like-minded focus in to protecting the environment and encouraging people to get outdoors. The Appalachian Trail passes through many of the states where Maine Beer Company beers are distributed, and we recognized an opportunity of engaging more people and drawing attention to the work of the AMC through our beer community both at home and in other states. Locally, the Maine Woods Initiative supported by the AMC ties in with Maine Beer Company's advocacy for the Katahdin Woods & Waters National Monument. In a state whose economy is increasingly defined by tourism we recognize the importance of supporting land conservation, nature-based tourism, and community partnerships, all of which are central to the AMC."Activity Categories: Conservation, Social Events
Location: 268 Main St., Kingfield, ME
Region: Maine, Western
Leader: Kaitlyn Bernard 207-808-4424
AMC Conservation Action Network:
Join AMC’s Conservation Action Network (CAN) and receive the news by email. Created to encourage and facilitate conservation activism.
AMC Suggestions on Climate Change
Helpful Articles on Climate Change
- Climate Science in Six Well-Documented Findings by Dr. Michael MacCracken
- Debunking Urban Legends of Climate Change by Frances Moore
- The Conversion of a Climate Change Skeptic by Dr. Richard Muller
- Global Warming’s Terrifying New Math by Bill McKibben
For objective information on climate change, see:
- The Climate Institute
- The Center for Climate and Energy Solutions
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Skeptic’s arguements
Questions AMC recommends we ask political candidates about climate change:
- The science is clear: climate change is happening and humans are contributing to it. Do you believe that we are experiencing a period of human induced climate change?
- Will you reject the manufactured â€œdebateâ€ and speak out in support of climate science?
- Will you support limits on greenhouse gas emissions? If yes, will you support the reduction recommended by scientists of 80% below 1990 levels by 2050?
- Will you protect EPAâ€™s ability to enforce their legal mandate to protect clean air and regulate greenhouse gas emissions?
- What would you do to increase energy conservation and efficiency in the country (or state)?