Meetings and Education Committee Chair and FMI: Michelle Moody (Brunswick area meetings, 207-406-5221)Â or Nancy JacobsonÂ (Bangor area meetings).
The Meetings and Education Committee provides evening events on a roughly monthly basis from October through May. These indoor events are typically a presentation on an outdoor adventure or a more educational presentation on topics such as Maine State Parks or winter weather on Mount Washington. Events are typically held in the Portland, Brunswick, and Bangor areas and sometimes have a potluck meal prior to the presentation. Please see below for a listing of common event locations and directions. Our events are open to all, members and non-members alike. Please scroll down to view the mext Meetings and Education activity or visit the calendar page to see all future M&E activities.
The goal of the Meetings and Education Committee is to support the mission of the Maine Chapter of the AMC through educational activities intended to provide members with learning opportunities. Committee activities typically include:
- Developing an annual schedule of periodic events to provide educational opportunities for AMC Maine members and the public;
- Coordinating events, speakers, venues, logistics, publicity, and other arrangements;
- Identifying and promoting educational resources for members through media including newsletters, mailings, and the chapter website;
- Supporting other AMC events involving meetings and educational events with resources and coordination;
- Assisting other AMC Maine Chapter Committees by serving as point of contact for member educational sources.
If you have a talk or program you’d like to present or if you would like to help the Meetings and Education Committee find other interesting programs, please email the Chair, Nancy Jacobson.
Next Meetings and Education event:
Toast the Outdoors with Maine Beer CompanyDate: Thursday, December 14, 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Raise a glass for the wild places you love. Throughout December, Maine Beer Company is placing its delicious beers on tap in pubs throughout AMC regions to support the mission of the AMC. It's simple, when you drink one of their beers at an AMC event a portion of your tab gets donated to AMC. Join us at the Maine Beer Company flagship in Freeport on Thursday, December 14 from 6pm - 9pm. They will have their signature goods on tap which will (hopefully!) include Woods & Waters, Peeper, Another One, Lunch, and Zoe. Maine Beer Company is located at 525 US-1, Freeport, ME and online at: https://www.mainebeercompany.com/ Each month, Maine Beer Company partners with a 1% for the Planet non-profit. Maine Beer Company writes, "We selected Appalachian Mountain Club as one of our 1% For the Planet environmental non-profits because we saw a like-minded focus in to protecting the environment and encouraging people to get outdoors. The Appalachian Trail passes through many of the states where Maine Beer Company beers are distributed, and we recognized an opportunity of engaging more people and drawing attention to the work of the AMC through our beer community both at home and in other states. Locally, the Maine Woods Initiative supported by the AMC ties in with Maine Beer Company's advocacy for the Katahdin Woods & Waters National Monument. In a state whose economy is increasingly defined by tourism we recognize the importance of supporting land conservation, nature-based tourism, and community partnerships, all of which are central to the AMC."Activity Categories: Social Events
Location: Maine Beer Company, Freeport, ME
Region: Maine, Southern and Mid-Coast
Leader: Michelle Moody 207-406-5221 (before 9pm)
Co-Leader: Kaitlyn Bernard
- Curtis Memorial Library, 23 Pleasant Street, Brunswick, 04011: From the north or south, take exit 28 off I-295 and go 2.5 miles toward Route 1. From the right lane at the stoplight, go straight onto Pleasant Street 0.5 miles to the library on the right. Parking is on Middle Street or in a public lot off Union Street.
- Freeport Community Library, 10 Library Drive, Freeport, 04032: From the north or south, take exit 22 off I-295 and turn on Mallet Drive toward Freeport. In 0.4 miles at the stoplight with Main Street (McDonaldâ€™s Restaurant is on the right corner), turn left (north) onto Main Street/U.S. Route 1. In 0.1 mile just before the Freeport Baptist Church on the left turn left (uphill) on Library Drive. The library is at the end of the drive with parking on the right.
- Gilsland Farm (Maine Audubon), 20 Gilsland Farm Road, Falmouth, 04105: From the south, take exit 9 off I-295 and follow Route 1 north 1.9 miles. Turn left onto Gilsland Farm Rd and drive to the end. From the north, take exit 10 Bucknam Rd off I-295, then left toward Route 1 south. Turn right (south) and follow Route 1 for 1.4 miles. Turn right onto Gilsland Farm Rd and drive to the end.
- Fields Pond Nature Center (Maine Audubon), 216 Fields Pond Rd, Holden, 04429: From the north or south, at Exit 5 from I-395 near Bangor, go right on Parkway South for 0.3 mile. Go right on Dirigo Drive 0.5 mile. Go right on Green Point Road 0.8 mile. Go left on Wiswell Road 1.5 miles. At Fields Pond Road, go right 1 mile. Audubon Center is on the left.