Meetings and Education Committee Chair and FMI: Michelle Moody (Brunswick area meetings, 207-406-5221)Â or Nancy JacobsonÂ (Bangor area meetings).
The Meetings and Education Committee provides evening events on a roughly monthly basis from October through May. These indoor events are typically a presentation on an outdoor adventure or a more educational presentation on topics such as Maine State Parks or winter weather on Mount Washington. Events are typically held in the Portland, Brunswick, and Bangor areas and sometimes have a potluck meal prior to the presentation. Please see below for a listing of common event locations and directions. Our events are open to all, members and non-members alike. Please scroll down to view the mext Meetings and Education activity or visit the calendar page to see all future M&E activities.
The goal of the Meetings and Education Committee is to support the mission of the Maine Chapter of the AMC through educational activities intended to provide members with learning opportunities. Committee activities typically include:
- Developing an annual schedule of periodic events to provide educational opportunities for AMC Maine members and the public;
- Coordinating events, speakers, venues, logistics, publicity, and other arrangements;
- Identifying and promoting educational resources for members through media including newsletters, mailings, and the chapter website;
- Supporting other AMC events involving meetings and educational events with resources and coordination;
- Assisting other AMC Maine Chapter Committees by serving as point of contact for member educational sources.
If you have a talk or program you’d like to present or if you would like to help the Meetings and Education Committee find other interesting programs, please email the Chair, Nancy Jacobson.
Next Meetings and Education event:
Potluck and Presentation: Atlantic CanadaDate: Thursday, March 15, 6:00 pm - 8:45 pm
Our Closest Neighbor and its Exceptional Natural Beauty Priscilla Anson is a world traveler whose most recent journey took her through the four provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick. Boondocking most nights with no planned itinerary, Priscilla experienced through hiking and wanderlust-filled days the expansiveness, natural beauty, and cultural warmth of this unique region. Join us as she she shares photos, narrative, and anecdotes that will bring to life this beautiful region, with a focus on Newfoundland. Potluck dinner will start at 6pm (please bring a dish to share, help us be green and bring your own cup, plates and silverware). Presentation at 7pm. Doors open at 5:30pm. Free and open to the public.Activity Categories: Cultural, Meetings, Social Events
Location: Curtis Memorial Library, Morrell Meeting Room, 23 Pleasant St., Brunswick, ME 04011
Region: Maine, Southern and Mid-Coast
Leader: Michelle Moody 207-406-5221 (before 9pm)
Co-Leader: Stan Moody
FMI: Curtis Memorial Library
- Curtis Memorial Library, 23 Pleasant Street, Brunswick, 04011: From the north or south, take exit 28 off I-295 and go 2.5 miles toward Route 1. From the right lane at the stoplight, go straight onto Pleasant Street 0.5 miles to the library on the right. Parking is on Middle Street or in a public lot off Union Street.
- Freeport Community Library, 10 Library Drive, Freeport, 04032: From the north or south, take exit 22 off I-295 and turn on Mallet Drive toward Freeport. In 0.4 miles at the stoplight with Main Street (McDonaldâ€™s Restaurant is on the right corner), turn left (north) onto Main Street/U.S. Route 1. In 0.1 mile just before the Freeport Baptist Church on the left turn left (uphill) on Library Drive. The library is at the end of the drive with parking on the right.
- Gilsland Farm (Maine Audubon), 20 Gilsland Farm Road, Falmouth, 04105: From the south, take exit 9 off I-295 and follow Route 1 north 1.9 miles. Turn left onto Gilsland Farm Rd and drive to the end. From the north, take exit 10 Bucknam Rd off I-295, then left toward Route 1 south. Turn right (south) and follow Route 1 for 1.4 miles. Turn right onto Gilsland Farm Rd and drive to the end.
- Fields Pond Nature Center (Maine Audubon), 216 Fields Pond Rd, Holden, 04429: From the north or south, at Exit 5 from I-395 near Bangor, go right on Parkway South for 0.3 mile. Go right on Dirigo Drive 0.5 mile. Go right on Green Point Road 0.8 mile. Go left on Wiswell Road 1.5 miles. At Fields Pond Road, go right 1 mile. Audubon Center is on the left.