Meetings and Education Committee Chair and FMI: Michelle Moody (Brunswick area meetings, 207-406-5221) or Nancy Jacobson (Bangor area meetings).
The Meetings and Education Committee provides evening events on a roughly monthly basis from October through May. These indoor events are typically a presentation on an outdoor adventure or a more educational presentation on topics such as Maine State Parks or winter weather on Mount Washington. Events are typically held in the Portland, Brunswick, and Bangor areas and sometimes have a potluck meal prior to the presentation. Please see below for a listing of common event locations and directions. Our events are open to all, members and non-members alike. Please scroll down to view the mext Meetings and Education activity or visit the calendar page to see all future M&E activities.
The goal of the Meetings and Education Committee is to support the mission of the Maine Chapter of the AMC through educational activities intended to provide members with learning opportunities. Committee activities typically include:
- Developing an annual schedule of periodic events to provide educational opportunities for AMC Maine members and the public;
- Coordinating events, speakers, venues, logistics, publicity, and other arrangements;
- Identifying and promoting educational resources for members through media including newsletters, mailings, and the chapter website;
- Supporting other AMC events involving meetings and educational events with resources and coordination;
- Assisting other AMC Maine Chapter Committees by serving as point of contact for member educational sources.
If you have a talk or program you’d like to present or if you would like to help the Meetings and Education Committee find other interesting programs, please email the Chair, Nancy Jacobson.
Next Meetings and Education event:
AMC Potluck and Presentation - Paddle Maine! Tune up your skills, equipment and knowledgeDate: Thursday, May 2
Have you wanted to get out on the water but not sure where to get started or maybe you want to up your game. What boat is best for you? What equipment do you need? What classes should you take? Where should you go to paddle? How do you go about trying out different options? Are there guided trips in the area? Kayaks, canoes, paddle boards and more... So many choices! Join Scott Shea, Master Maine Guide and owner of Seaspray Kayaking for over 25 years, as we share and prepare for another season of Paddling the beautiful waters of Maine. Scott will discuss cold water safety, rescue techniques, the latest trends in paddling (including stand up paddleboards), and great local places to explore. We have a wealth of opportunities in the Midcoast area from rivers and streams, to local lakes and some of the most wonderful coastline to explore. Scott can guide you to find that perfect spot for the type of outing you are looking for. There will be giveaways during the presentations and lots more...Seaspray Kayaking offers 20% discount on all purchases and rentals to all AMC members. Potluck dinner will start at 6pm (please bring a dish to share, help us be green and bring your own cup, plates and silverware). Presentation at 7pm. Free and open to the public.Activity Categories: Meetings, Paddling, Paddling - Canoeing, Paddling - Sea Kayaking, Paddling - Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUP), Social Events
Location: Curtis Memorial Library, Morrell Mtg Room, 23 Pleasant Street, Brunswick
Region: Maine, Southern and Mid-Coast
Leader: Michelle Moody 207-406-5221 (before 9pm) , Stanley Moody
FMI: Seaspray kayaking
FMI: Curtis Memorial Library
- Curtis Memorial Library, 23 Pleasant Street, Brunswick, 04011: From the north or south, take exit 28 off I-295 and go 2.5 miles toward Route 1. From the right lane at the stoplight, go straight onto Pleasant Street 0.5 miles to the library on the right. Parking is on Middle Street or in a public lot off Union Street.
- Freeport Community Library, 10 Library Drive, Freeport, 04032: From the north or south, take exit 22 off I-295 and turn on Mallet Drive toward Freeport. In 0.4 miles at the stoplight with Main Street (McDonaldâ€™s Restaurant is on the right corner), turn left (north) onto Main Street/U.S. Route 1. In 0.1 mile just before the Freeport Baptist Church on the left turn left (uphill) on Library Drive. The library is at the end of the drive with parking on the right.
- Gilsland Farm (Maine Audubon), 20 Gilsland Farm Road, Falmouth, 04105: From the south, take exit 9 off I-295 and follow Route 1 north 1.9 miles. Turn left onto Gilsland Farm Rd and drive to the end. From the north, take exit 10 Bucknam Rd off I-295, then left toward Route 1 south. Turn right (south) and follow Route 1 for 1.4 miles. Turn right onto Gilsland Farm Rd and drive to the end.
- Fields Pond Nature Center (Maine Audubon), 216 Fields Pond Rd, Holden, 04429: From the north or south, at Exit 5 from I-395 near Bangor, go right on Parkway South for 0.3 mile. Go right on Dirigo Drive 0.5 mile. Go right on Green Point Road 0.8 mile. Go left on Wiswell Road 1.5 miles. At Fields Pond Road, go right 1 mile. Audubon Center is on the left.